Michael Casher August 2010
1. Most of my life is personal but I'll share certain things.
2. I've enjoyed listening to music from just about every music genre. But Jazz, Ambient, Blues, Electronica, Techno, Big Band, Classical, Classic Rock, Motown, 70's Disco and 80's New Wave are my favorites.
3. Miles Davis, Wes Montgomery, Pat Metheny, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Errol Garner, Oscar Peterson, Maynard Ferguson 4. George Benson, Stephane Grappelli, John Klemmer, Jean Luc Ponty, Paul Desmond, Dave Brubeck, Louis Bellson, Dizzy Gillespie, Thad Jones 5. Carlos Alomar, Arif Banto, Stephen Burns, C. P. Bryan, Richard Burmer, Constance Demby, Rick Dickert, Jean-Michel Jarre, Steve Lowther, Steve Roach, Mike Vekris, Sergey Rybytskyy, Aleksandra Siemieniuk, Enrico Altavilla, Vangelis 6. Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw, Count Basie 7. Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Kay Kyser, Vaughn Monore 8. Xavier Cugat, Tito Puente, Santana, Herb Alpert, Sergio Mendez 9. I met folk/blues singer John Lee Hooker.
10. Andrea True Connection, Bee Gees, Boz Scags, Chic, K. C. and the Sunshine Band, Michael Zager Band, Tavares, Van McCoy
11. A Flock of Seagulls, The Bangles, Blondie, Duran Duran, The Fixx, Gary Numan, INXS, Men at Work, Pet Shop Boys, Talking Heads
12. The Dave Clark Five, The Beach Boys, The Doors, Steppenwolf, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane
13. Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, early Beatles, Jr. Walker And the All Stars, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Mary Wells, The Chiffons, The Crystals, The Miracles, The Ronettes, The Supremes, The Temptations
14. Debussy, Dvorak, Gershwin, Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Sousa, Strauss
15. Ray Charles, Patsy Cline, Patti Page, Petula Clark, Nat King Cole, Sade, Chet Atkins, Dwight Yoakam, Slim Whitman, Willie Nelson. Polkas
16. Pete Seeger; Woodie Guthrie; Peter, Paul and Mary.
17. French Impressionism, watercolor landscapes, watercolor portraits.
18. I've never had what most people call a "dream".
19. I haven't watched live TV since 1995.
20. I like gumshoe and gangster movies, comedies, 1950's sci-fi.
21. I dislike tear-jerkers, lewdness, sick violence and nasty language.
22. I like The Three Stooges, especially with the original Curly. 23. Cool comedy classics: Andy Griffith, Barney Miller, Newhart, Taxi. 24. Old crime dramas like Hawaiian Eye, Kojak, Mannix, 77 Sunset Strip. 25. The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson. No one's topped that.
26. Don't try to sell me your religion. 27. Don't make your problems my problems. 28. Don't ask me to help you with your book or your writing career. 29. Don't make me your enemy or become mine. Trust me on this. 30. The best writers make life clearer to us.
31. The worst writers only titillate our senses.
32. I bought my first and only pickup truck in 1998 (Ford Ranger).
33. I rode a bicycle 30 miles to drive it home.
34. My religious beliefs, or lack of them, are my own affair.
35. No one may get up close and personal, not anymore. 36. I don't like to talk about my private life. Dig for dirt elsewhere. 37. "Private" and "personal" mean "none of your business". 38. Besides, my "private life" consists of eating, sleeping, working, 39. watching TV, cooking, yard work, housework and shopping.
40. That's been my "private life" for the past three decades. OK?
41. I don't care for spectator sports and I think reality TV is stupid.
42. I watch recorded movies and old sitcoms to escape from reality.
43. Traditional publishers only care about one thing.
44. They like making money and lots of it.
45. I don't like dogs or loud vehicles. Get over it.
46. I like the setting sun, yellow, orange and red, on brick walls.
47. I turned down a job offer from Time Magazine in 1978.
48. I don't like to hear a phone ring and I dislike talking on one.
49. I don't like pranks, crank phone calls or practical jokes.
50. They're only fun for the pranksters and it's hostility in disguise.
51. I was Rwanda's Ambassador to ECMUNC in 1969.
(ECMUNC= East Coast Model United Nations Conference)
52. I graduated from high school in 1969 with highest honors.
53. I have never looked back on those days, not even once.
54. I got drafted out of college halfway through.
55. Then I worked in a hospital for pennies.
56. Then I was told that I was drafted by mistake.
57. I never finished college after that. Mistake, my ass.
58. Some Feds are dangerous and unrepentant criminals.
59. If you mess with me you will live to regret it. Trust me.
60. I'm a recluse who values his privacy and that is my right. 61. If you violate that right, or any other, you will regret it. 62. I'm intrigued by the 1930's Art Deco (Moderne) period.
63. TV, Hollywood, low-life, immoral Americans, the Democratic Party, and the Obama Administration are destroying our American heritage. 64. The worst betrayal in life comes from those closest to you. 65. The cruelest betrayal is when they don't care about the damages. 66. The biggest betrayal is when good people are treated badly. 67. I met poet Nikki Giovanni in 1978. 68. If black Americans are called African-Americans these days
69. then why aren't white Americans called European-Americans?
70. The world is not black-and-white, it's in living color.
71. I was in the White House once (took the tour in 1969).
72. I got three letters from the White House.
73. One of them is from the Reagan White House.
74. Two of them are from the G. W. Bush White House.
75. None of the above makes me a big deal. Why would it?
Michael Casher February 2013
76. I moved to Greenwich Village once.
77. I moved out the very next day.
78. The Big Apple was full of worms.
79. I wouldn't go to Las Vegas to take a crap.
80. I haven't been on a bar stool since 1991.
81. I got tired of staring straight ahead.
82. I got tired of keeping that kind of company
83. just to drink beer, watch TV and eat pretzels.
84. You can do that at home in your pjs.
85. Loud people need attention and don't get it because they're loud.
86. Funerals are for phony people who pay their respects to the dead
87. instead of paying attention to the living.
88. In 1996 I arranged and paid up front for my own cremation.
89. I don't want an obituary, a service, or a marker when I die.
90. Our two-party political system needs to be overhauled.
91. The Internet fell short of becoming a great Information Highway.
92. It's mostly a hideout for creeps, crooks and scoundrels
93. and criminals who would be in prison anywhere else.
94. The rest of us are their suckers.
95. When Cyndi Lauper sang on PBS
96. "At Last My Love Has Come Along"
97. I wanted to be young again.
98. She's a woman at last.
99. I don't want to die without making a difference.
100. I don't want to die in Valkenvania.
Michael Casher March 2013